KVN Forum Meeting 3rd July 2007

Compiled by
CD

Attendees: 7
Apologies: 7

The next meeting of the Forum will be held at the Kobler Clinic, Tuesday 4th September 2007 on the 4th Floor of the St Stephens Centre, from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.

This document is a collection of the discussions held by the KVN Forum members at the eleventh meeting of the KVN Forum, which took place on 3rd July 2007 at the Kobler Clinic. These are not strictly minutes of the meeting, but most of the points were loosely captured – apologies for any points missed.

  • Year One Retrospective Report - will be sent around for final review by the Forum – all comments welcome.
  • Phlebotomy Audit - Final draft: PD presented costs - £560 for 300 copies – he then negotiated the additional £40 in donations from Debbie Richards, which will pay for an additional 100 copies. The Distribution list needs to be put together – so far Bloomsbury, Wharfside, Crusaid, local MP, Borough Councillors, Westminster, UKC, UKCAB. Stephen Head has been sent a copy of the Audit and he indicated an interest in part-funding the printing and postage spend. There is a presentation scheduled in August to the Kobler staff, and Debbie Richards suggested presenting it at Board level at C&W – extend invitation to the HIV Directorate. It was suggested that it could be presented to the PPI Subgroup
  • Debbie Richards attended the Forum meeting – she reconfirmed to the members her support for the Forum, and was very impressed with the Phlebotomy Audit and Report, and gave high praise to how well the Forum had implemented the work and achieved far more than we could have imagined. She spoke about sustaining the Forum, and how important it was to keep the impetus going, and recognised how difficult it is to do that after the first year or so of these types of Voluntary organisations. She also wished to offer more to the Forum in terms of support, and asked of the Forum members to say what we want to be involved in, and offered instances as varied as helping to determine clinic policy or even discussing senior appointments in the Directorate. She went on to say that we should feel enabled to invite senior members of Clinical and even Directorate staff – like Head of Nursing, or even PCT Commissioners and Trust Directors.
  • The "Protocol" that C&W are working on to address the issue of Treatment specialists writing prescriptions for non-HIV related illnesses – Debbie Richards has advised that we (KVN Forum) should formally ask Debbie Richards to ask Stephen Tucker to invite us to the sessions where these protocols are being discussed. There are two Protocols – one based around the formulary – the cost of dispensing non-HIV drugs versus permitting continued access to experienced treatment specialists who can better assess side effects and ‘dotted line’ accountability for maintaining quality of life. The other is around the referrals by HIV Treatment specialists to further specialised treatment services within the Trust: there is pressure to bring the HIV Directorate in line with the rest of the Trust and make HIV patients seek all non-HIV related illness referrals from their GP’s and not from Clinics.
  • The Role of GP's discussion - next steps – Jane Bruton will confirm the place and date. She will also invite Professor Gazzard, Dr Asboe and Dr Nelson. The Forum will invite Judy Hague, and Stephen Tucker. We should consider Childcare facilities – Jane suggested “Grandma’s” (HIV Childminders – there would be a cost.
  • Patient Representative – Debbie Richards offered that the costs of managing this position might be difficult given current thinking on funding limits (payments by results etc). She also offered that the need has been recognised to maintain a connection with Service users, and a Patient rep was part of capturing information on the services most affecting users. The Forum agreed it might be as well to invite Garry Brough to come to discuss the Job role with us, and perhaps assist with putting parts of the puzzle together (Funding, responsibilities, T’s & C’s etc)
  • PPI Subgroup meeting – CD and GC gave an update on the events. One point discussed was that there would be a Pan-London Consortium conference in October – we will try to get representation on that. The Subgroup meeting discussed a lot in the short 2 hour meeting time – hardcopies of the presentations are available to view – we will bring these to the next few meetings. Judy Hague spoke how the current Service review was at the stage of trying to develop patient pathways, and we (the Forum) have offered to assist, where possible, in that process of development. All who wish to take part in that venture should make themselves known or report to the online Forum. Also discussed was review produced by Sir Ara Darzi, to which GC forwarded some comments on the “polyclinic” approach. These will be feedback to the Chair of the PPI Subgroup. Hopefully the minutes from the meeting will be sent out soon – they will be posted to the online Forum. • Westminster “All Forum meeting” – is set for 24th July – at the Soho Centre for Health and Care – Soho Square / Frith St. All members are invited to network and meet other Patient/Service User Forums operating within London. The meeting will take place from 1800-2000hrs, 1st floor meeting room – refreshments provided. • August meeting for the moment has been cancelled – due to last years poor numbers (Holiday season). Although as the “Role of GP’s” event is late September, we may need to hold an extraordinary meeting to get things happening in time – notices will go on the online Forum. • Iain Davidson will come to our meeting (maybe September now). • Future meetings will dedicate the first 5 minutes to member introduction and to go over some “Ground Rules” like: switching mobile phones to silent or vibrate, not interrupting others while they are speaking, respecting others opinions and sensitivities, etc.

That’s it. Please forward all points/suggestions for next meeting to
the online forum, or directly to CD at declec@hotmail.com and the Agenda
will be posted to the online Forum, with any additional points added to it
as they are sent in.

The meeting dates for the Year 2007 are as follows:

  • Tuesday 7th August [NO MEETING]
  • Tuesday 4th September
  • Tuesday 2nd October
  • Tuesday 6th November
  • Tuesday 4th December

The next meeting of the KVN Forum will be held at:The Kobler Clinic
4th Floor,
St Stephens Centre
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital

6:00pm to 8:00pm

On Tuesday 3rd July

Refreshments provided.