KVN Forum Meeting 9th May 2006
Attendees: 10 Apologies: 2
The next meeting of the KVN Forum will be held at the Kobler Clinic, on 6th June 2006 on the 4th Floor of the St Stephens Centre, from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.
This document is a collection of the discussions held by the KVN Forum members at the fourth meeting of the KVN Forum, which took place on 9th May 2006 at the Victoria Clinic. These are not strictly minutes of the meeting, but most of the points were loosely captured – apologies for any points that were missed.
It was good to see so many regular faces returning to the meeting - it is indicative of the strength of feeling we all share in our desire to make a real difference to the lives of positive patients.
There were lots of topics to discuss - many of them raised at previous meetings – I propose to add any unresolved or ongoing issues to our next meeting's agenda.
- J.A. and J.S. spoke about their attendance at the Emergency Service Access Review meeting - this sparked a great deal of discussion, as it was felt that this issue is rapidly developing into one of the core points of interest for the Forum. J.S. has submitted a report on the meeting, and it has been posted to the online forum. It is topic that many of the members feel very strongly about, as it encompasses many aspects of Patients lives - from the services available at the clinic to the Mainstreaming of HIV Care. This will be an ongoing subject for discussion - and will no doubt be included at the next meeting.
- Shaun Weston reported great progress in his successfully putting up Notice Boards at all the Clinics he could, and has researched the type
and price of Suggestion Box that the group can now proceed with, and try and get those put up in all the Clinics as well.
- CD presented the proposed format of the Newsletter - the forum approved its design and it's publishing. The Newsletter can be printed and then copies left at each of the Clinics in the waiting areas. The Newsletter will be updated and then emailed to Jane Bruton and Barbara von Barsewisch and then it can be forwarded to staff representatives at each of the three Clinics for distribution.
- The Forum agreed on taking on the Organisational Structure, that belies the shape of Steering Group, Working Groups and a Chairperson. As the forum develops, the structure will develop in the most appropriate format to suit the members themselves. There was a consensus of members’ willingness to be a part of these Groups, and to accept those roles and their respective responsibilities.
- Another aspect of organisation was agreed - the structure of the meetings themselves. The meetings will concentrate on Business-related issues during the first half, then there will be a break for refreshments, then the second half will be for members to hold open discussions on any aspects relating to theirs or other patients needs and experiences
- Another agreement (hopefully) was that of the need for a different member of the Forum to take the minutes at each meeting - these can be sent to CD, and he will type them up and post them to the online forum.
- PF has accepted the task of compiling a Glossary of commonly used Acronyms and terms. He requested submissions from all members to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Oasis North London pamphlets were distributed to the group, and after a short discussion the forum has requested that we make contact with Oasis, and invite them to come to our next meeting and give a presentation on what they do and explain the services they offer. Paul Foster will make contact with them and invite them along.
- The Forum members discussed the issue of where the future meetings should be held - now that a meeting has been held at each of the three KVN Clinics. It was generally felt that the Kobler Clinic was the most appropriate place to hold the meetings, in terms of available facilities, and meeting times. It was also suggested that the meeting times could be moved to 7-9pm, as this would help those members who come from further a field. The members decided to keep the next meeting at 6-8pm, then announce the change - if agreed at the meeting - to take effect from then on.
- There were some other points sent to the online forum prior to the meeting, to be included on the agenda.
- Would ChelWest staff continue to be invited to attend the KVN forum meetings? The answer from the forum was yes, but if there were any issues that members wished to discuss outside of the confines of protocol, and then these could be discussed during the second part of the meetings, and perhaps ChelWest staff would not be required to stay for that portion of the meeting.
- Travel Re-imbursements for Appointments - the Trust is about to formalise the arrangements for those who wish to claim travel expenses for attending Clinics for appointments. The Trust will now require proof that the claimant is in receipt of benefits. The claimant will have to complete a claim form and send it off to the Trust, who will then, once the claim is validated, reimburse the travel expenses. The Forum was asked for their thoughts on the logistics of implementing such an arrangement. The general view was that this should be implemented over a six-month period – to cover most patient’s three-monthly visits to the Clinic.
- Other business - there was a query on how well the new Clinic Call-centre was working, in response to teething problems experienced by some of the members of the group. It seemed that there were still some creases that needed ironing out, but the system was settling in, so the forum will continue to monitor it.
- Attention was drawn to the Forum, that there is about to be a change made to Sexual Partners rights – Marco made reference to a document that he will forward to the online forum, and it is felt that all members of the forum should be aware of it’s possible implications.
- There was also mention of a document that will be posted to the online forum (when it is available – dates TBA) detailing the results of Patient Survey 2005.
That’s it folks, hope I didn't leave out too much. Please forward all points/suggestions for next meeting to the online forum, or directly to me at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org I will post the Agenda to the online Forum, and will add any additional points to it as they are sent in. To start with, here are a few of the ongoing topics:
6th June Meeting Agenda:
1. Oasis Outreach presentation
2. Further Discussion on the Emergency Service Access Review - a member of that review may be invited to come to the next KVN meeting.
3. Report on Suggestion Boxes
4. Report on Newsletter
5. Patient Survey results - discussion if sufficient interest..?
6. Clinic Call-centre phone-line problems..?
7. Consolidation of KVN Forum structure - begin plotting/framing our organisation so as to be able to begin applying for available funding for charitable organisations - to finance any directional work the group hopes to achieve.
The next meeting of the KVN Forum will be:
Tuesday 6th June, 2006 6:00pm to 8:00pm
The Kobler Clinic
St Stephens Centre
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital